The finalists for the Kennel Gazette Junior Warrant Winner of the Year Competition are getting ready to head to the world’s greatest dog show, dfs Crufts at the NEC, Birmingham next week.
The final will take place in the Main Arena at the event on Friday 12th March. Ten of the country’s most successful young pedigree dogs qualified for the prestigious final by winning through from two semi-finals held at Discover Dogs at Earls Court, London last November.
The two semis were judged by Meg Purnell Carpenter and Lee Cox respectively and the ten qualifiers who will compete at dfs Crufts next week are:
• Newfoundland, Sandbears Stride’n Style owned by Suzanne Blake
• Dachshund (Miniature Smooth-Haired), Siouxline April Folly owned by Sue Ergis
• Whippet, Collooney Tricky Dicky owned by Luke Johnston
• Beagle, Eardley Duncan Disorderly owned by Mr Jones & Mr Jepson
• Border Collie, Tonkory Viceroy owned by Ian Lock
• Retriever (Labrador), Bilbo Baggins By Baileydale owned by Mr & Mrs Metcalfe
• Newfoundland, Scotiabear Talk Of The Town At Rathmil owned by Mr & Mrs A & J Milne and Mr & Mrs D & C Lyall
• Siberian Husky, Coldasice Phoenix Rising owned by Michael Patrick & Leigh Ashman
• German Shorthaired Pointer, Kavacanne Toff At The Top owned by Adam Rose & James Gaffney
• Pyrenean Mountain Dog, Kiricarno Khoirboy owned by Mr & Mrs Tadd
Following the semi-finals, Meg Purnell Carpenter said: “The standard of the dogs and their owners was extremely high this year, and it is great to see people who have such a strong and progressive relationship with their dogs. We have a great selection of finalists and I expect the final to be a tightly fought competition.”
The Junior Warrant is an award for pedigree dogs from the ages of 6 to 18 months which have won a series of first prizes at both Open and Championship shows. Achieving a Junior Warrant is one of the highest levels of success for young pedigree dogs.
The Kennel Gazette Junior Warrant Winner of the Year Competition is held annually and is for dogs which have gained the title of Junior Warrant during the previous year. There were 12 heats held throughout the UK in August and September 2010, with five dogs and a reserve selected by the judge at each of the heats, and those dogs were then invited to the semi finals at the Kennel Club’s Discover Dogs event at Earls Court, London.
The Kennel Gazette Junior Warrant Competition Final will be just one of the fascinating activities taking place at dfs Crufts, to celebrate happy, healthy dogs from 10th - 13th March 2011 at the NEC, Birmingham. For tickets visit www.dfscrufts.org.uk
To find out more about the Kennel Gazette Junior Warrant Competition visit http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2818. To find out about how to subscribe to the Kennel Gazette visit: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/kennelgazette.
2nd March 2011
For further press information, images or interview requests please contact:
The Kennel Club Press Office
020 7518 1008