Four momentous days of Crufts culminated in an exciting final as Elizabeth (Ch. Zentarr Elizabeth) a Lhasa Apso was named as the 2012 Crufts champion this evening.
Elizabeth and owner, Margaret Anderson from Coventry were awarded the prestigious Crufts Best in Show Trophy in front of thousands who turned up to the NEC Arena and millions more watching live around the world.
21,029 dogs competed for the Best in Show title over the last four days at Crufts 2012 at the NEC in Birmingham. Best in Show judge, Frank Kane faced a difficult decision choosing between the seven different breeds, the Borzoi, Irish Water Spaniel, Newfoundland, Norwich Terrier, Lhasa Apso, Pomeranian and Old English Sheepdog.
Elizabeth’s owner Margaret was clearly shocked and pausing with delight when she was selected, she exclaimed: “I am speechless, completely breathless. Elizabeth is wonderful and she always rises to the occasion. As you can see she is not at all fazed; the more applause, the more she loves it. She can’t do any more than this, I am sure someone is going to pinch me in a minute and I will wake up and it will all be a dream.”
The Reserve Best in Show title was won by Brutus, a Newfoundland, owned by Sonia Krockovci from Slovakia.
Dog lover Jennifer Saunders was by the ringside to watch the final, having just presented the Kennel Club’s Friends for Life award. This unique award recognises the country’s dog heroes and this year’s winner was Michael Barrow and Buster from RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire.
Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Communications Director, said: “Elizabeth and Margaret deserve huge congratulations. It was a tough final and they had to beat some absolutely fantastic dogs to take the prestigious Best in Show Award.
“This year has been such a great show - from Rescue Dog Agility to Best in Show, there really has been so much going on. Tonight was a fantastic end to Crufts 2012 - both Elizabeth and Margaret fully deserved their place and were a delight to watch. Well done to them and all of the fantastic finalists.”
11th March 2012
For journalists who would like further press information, images or interview requests click here.
• Images of the winners can be downloaded from the fully managed online Press Office service World Wide Images at http://www.w-w-i.com/crufts_2012/.
• To arrange a radio interview, please contact Talking Point Broadcasting on 07970 617622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For video footage from the event please contact Andrew Preece from Sunset & Vine on 01865 260200 or email: email@example.com.
Notes to editors
• Watch Crufts on More4 from 6.30pm – 9pm on 8th – 11th March. This will include all of the highlights from the Arena programme, including the presentation to the Friends for Life winner. Also watch Crufts live on the Crufts YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/Crufts.
• For the latest updates you can join the Crufts Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crufts or follow the Kennel Club on Twitter.com/KCLovesDogs.
• The Kennel Club, organiser of Crufts, is the UK’s largest organisation dedicated to the health and welfare of dogs. At its heart are programmes and investments in education and health initiatives to help dogs across the UK to live long, healthy, happy lives with responsible owners.
• Crufts is a unique celebration of happy, healthy dogs and of the loving relationship that they enjoy with their owners. It recognises the varied roles that dogs play in society and highlights the many different disciplines and activities in which dogs are involved.